Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Cheese varieties > Cheese manufacture and varieties
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Some technical details on Mozzarella cheese in far
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some technical details on Mozzarella cheese in far

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Peterm View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peterm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some technical details on Mozzarella cheese in far
    Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 4:04pm
Zeppa, I am having problems with my buffalo mozzarella being too hard. I have been to southern Italy and seen how they make the cheese in different dairies. I follow a traditional italian recipe and have good pH. I am cooking/stretching the curd by hand and have made some good cheese. The balls are being formed in a Mould Forming machine - I do not make them by hand. But in the past few weeks I am finding that the balls are too hard and the outside is not smooth but is rough and has a lot of wrinkles. I think maybe I am losing too much fat in the water but I am not sure how I can reduce this? Maybe the protein % in the milk (5%) is too high compared to the fat (8.5%)?
Or maybe it is just down to the recipe I use?
I am taking the whey off at pH 5 and then emptying the curd onto the drainage table. Then I pile a little and cut then shred the curd before cooking at pH 4.9-4.85. If you have any ideas on this I would appreciate knowing ?
[ am getting

Originally posted by zeppa zeppa wrote:

Originally posted by Tong Tong wrote:

(4) How to form the curd into a smooth ball, I could knead a dough into a small ball, but I find that knead a curd is a little difficlut for me...alas

are there some useful tips?

Mozzarella it is not only a ball but the result of a peculiar stretching of curd treted with hot water.
After this tretment with hands the curd is cut with a peculiar movement of right thumb on left forefinger and thumb that close the curd. This movement is know in Italy as "mozzare" and the name "Mozzarella" derived by this term.
Only with the esperince it is possible obtain a good structure in this cheese
Sponsored Links

zeppa View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 4:03pm

(4) How to form the curd into a smooth ball, I could knead a dough into a small ball, but I find that knead a curd is a little difficlut for me...alas

Mozzarella it is not only a ball but the result of a peculiar stretching of curd treted with hot water.
After this tretment with hands the curd is cut with a peculiar movement of right thumb on left forefinger and thumb that close the curd. This movement is know in Italy as "mozzare" and the name "Mozzarella" derived by this term.
Only with the esperince it is possible obtain a good structure in this cheese
zeppa View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 4:03pm

(2) when stretch the curd, they usually add boiling water (95C),of which the amount double the paste.

of course, during stretching, some milk solids will lose into the water, which will decrease the yield.

I have read something elsewhere,"Loss of soluble solids is minimized by equilibration of the wash water with the cheese moisture"

what is the technique the traditonal cheese makers often use?

During stretching some milk solids will be lose into the water but the yeld is high as water is hold in the curd.
Generally water content is about 58-63% and solids are only 34-41%
As product is sell submerged in a mix of water-salt-whey this quantity of water remain in the heated product.

zeppa View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 4:02pm

(3) to add hot water v.s. to be heated directly by vat?

when I making Mozzarella in inner mongolia, they heat the curd directly by the wall of the steel vat, they think it can increase the yield, but uauslly the curd cannot be heated uniformly

do Italian traditional cheese maker still add boiling water into curd?

For Mozzarella production curd is separated by whey and add of hot water or vapour.
If curd is heated directly in the whey the yeld is certanly increased for coagulation of whey protein but I think that acidity is higher as curd is not washed by water and lactic acid concentration in final product is then higher
In some cases water used for curd heating is add of small quantity of whey.

zeppa View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 4:02pm

(1) It is said that acid serum (whey) is often used to clean tools. but I think acid whey will ecourage the development of phage.

so is it safe to use acid whey as a detergent?

I think that this it is not correct but largely used by farm producers. The phage is a real problem than it is better to use whey only for ricotta cheese production and a chemical product for to clean equipment
Tong View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 4:01pm

Tong View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 4:01pm
(3) to add hot water v.s. to be heated directly by vat?

when I making Mozzarella in inner mongolia, they heat the curd directly by the wall of the steel vat, they think it can increase the yield, but uauslly the curd cannot be heated uniformly

do Italian traditional cheese maker still add boiling water into curd?
Tong View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
(2) when stretch the curd, they usually add boiling water (95C),of which the amount double the paste.

of course, during stretching, some milk solids will lose into the water, which will decrease the yield.

I have read something elsewhere,"Loss of soluble solids is minimized by equilibration of the wash water with the cheese moisture"

what is the technique the traditonal cheese makers often use?
Tong View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 4:00pm
(1) It is said that acid serum (whey) is often used to clean tools. but I think acid whey will ecourage the development of phage.

so is it safe to use acid whey as a detergent?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic