Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Cheese varieties > Cheese manufacture and varieties
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

control of water content in cheese

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravidit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: control of water content in cheese
    Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:54pm
can any one help me by posting regarding the control of water content in cheese and changes taking place in the water during the different processing stages of cheese production.
i will be thankful if any one post me the material regarding the above topic
Sponsored Links

marvin View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:55pm
Ravidt

What cheese or cheeses are you interested in?

M

ravidt View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:55pm
thank you for the reply, and iam intersted in any of the cheese kind preferably hard and semi hard cheeses and changes in the moisture level during ripening
michael View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:55pm
Ravidt

Water in cheese, changes in the concentration of components in cheese-water or serum during cheesemaking and maturation has been extensively studied both directly and indirectly. In addition the water absorption characteristics of casein curd and the effect of pH and minerals on curd properties have been well studied particularly in model systems.

I suggest that you look at the paper by A. J. Pastorino, N. P. Ricks, C. L. Hansen, and D. J. McMahon (2003). Effect of Calcium and Water Injection on Structure-Function Relationships of Cheese. J Dairy Sci, 86: 105 - 113. You may also find the references helpful. One of the references cited is a paper by Ramkumar et. al. (1997) entitled’ Effect of pH and time on the quantity of readily available water within fresh cheese curd’. This has been published in the Journal of Dairy Research (64: 123-134).

You may also find work by Professor Pat Fox and his colleagues at UCC helpful.

There is some general material related to moisture in cheese on this site at
http://www.dairyscience.info/faq1/index.asp
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic