Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Cheese quality > Cheese quality
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cheddar Cheese Manufactured by the Milled-Curd and
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheddar Cheese Manufactured by the Milled-Curd and

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
michael View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheddar Cheese Manufactured by the Milled-Curd and
    Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:57pm
Tong

The thanks in this case are due to our commercial posters, Mr Cage and alf!
Sponsored Links

Tong View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:57pm
I like this forum!

Thank you, Mike
michael View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:57pm
Tong good to see that you have got waht you required!
Tong View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:56pm
Thanks a lot!
MrCage View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:56pm
The processes are similar in milk preparation, starter usage and general procedure techniques until the whey is removed or "pumped and drained". Most large-scale operations form the curd in a large vat in in which the curd is formed and handled to develop the appropriate amounts of lactic acid and curd firmness. When complete the curd/whey mixture is transfered to a belt 12 feet wide. The curd is continually mixed with "helicopter" style agitators that are fast enough to keeps curd from knitting but gentle enough not to shatter. The curd handling process takes from 70-180 minutes depending on style(including salting).

I will say that most of the new mechanized systems do have the ability to make both milled and stirred Cheddar varieties.

Try tetrapak.com for examples of this type of equipment.
alf View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:56pm
Very simple!!!!!!!!!! Curd not allowed to mat and kept stirred!
michael View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:56pm
Tong

Good to hear from you again. I will try and find a few photos for you and a few references. Perhaps some of our commercial people might want to respond first?

Mike
Tong View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:55pm
I have read a paper on JDS, "Differences Between Cheddar Cheese Manufactured by the Milled-Curd and Stirred-Curd Methods Using Different Commercial Starters"

I can not read full text but abstract only.

it said that "Traditionally, Cheddar cheese is made by the milled-curd method. However, because of the mechanization of cheese making and time constraints, the stirred-curd method is more commonly used by many large-scale commercial manufacturers."

I know the traditonal process, but what is Stirred-Curd Method?

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic