Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Site calculators and spreadsheet queries > Spreadsheet and site calculators
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

#DIV/0! messages

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #DIV/0! messages
    Posted: 18 May 2011 at 11:58pm

There are lots of excellent Excel resources on the web and I will try to post some of these when I get time. However this message could easily be generated by users modifying my spreadsheets or any other spreadsheet and I will try to explain how to deal with it.

The message is generated when a number is divided by 0;  this can easily happen when doing calculations. In many cases the appearance of this error notice in a cell is no big deal but it does not look good.

How can you deal with it?

1) You can arrange for Excel to give a value of your choice e.g. 0.00 by using a conditional statement. In the cell, A3, below the #DIV/0 error has been generated because A1 has been divided by A2.

To avoid this error in Excel 2007 or 2010, the IF ERROR function can be used. The syntax is =IFERROR( value , value_if_error ).  If you wish to replace the #DIV message with say 0, then the formula at A3 should be replaced as indicated below:

A1/A2 is the calculation that we wish to perform and ,0 is the error message.

Instead of having 0 as the error message we could arrange for a text message to be shown. Do this by replacing the 0 with the message in quotations or inverted commas as indicated below: 

The IF ERROR function is not available in older versions of Excel and a standard IF function can be used instead. However the syntax is a little different.
Sponsored Links

formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 10:22pm
Dear PM?

This is to acknowledge your PM re how to configure an output cell not to show #DIV/0! messages. I will respond shortly- I have no record of you downloading a spreadsheet!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic