Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Thermal processing > Thermal processing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

On Farm pasteurizer / economics of energy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pieter_ham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On Farm pasteurizer / economics of energy
    Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 7:45am
Dear Members,

I'am a dairy farm manager on large dairies in Russia, and building new farms over here,  But i'm looking for another qoustion concerning pasteurizer in the way of economics in energy,

Nowadays it is common practice to cool raw milk straight from the cow from 35 to 4 decrease Celcius.  There is a lot of energy involved with. The next step as far as I know is pasteuzing on the dairy plant  (how much of the milk is pasteurized in practice) so whe have to heat the raw milk up from 4 to 65 degrease celsius. and after that cooling the pasteurized milk down too ???  .

It seems to me that there is possibility to make economics on energy.

1   Is it for the dairy industry industrie interesting that there will be on farm pasteurizer (even take in consideration sterilizer).
2 What can be the cost and advantage in financial matters per liter of milk, 
3  Is quality control easy and possible for on farm use?
4 What cost a pasteurizer with 50 tons of raw milk a day

I hope you understand mine quostions, if there are quostions don't hesitate to post a message, This is on way to make the world greener,

With kind regards,

Pieter Ham
Sponsored Links

formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 8:08pm
Welcome to the forum.

Yes using energy efficiently, conserving and reusing energy are critical to business survival and to profitability.

In a modern dairy pasteurising milk a process of energy regeneration is used to 'capture' the energy in the heated milk, partly cool it and partly heat the incoming raw milk. The process is roughly about 70% efficient.

You would not pasteurise milk on farm unless there was a market for the product.  Established milk pasteurisers will also have packaging plant. This is an additional cost.

You will find many companies very interested in selling you pasteurising and packaging equipment.

Quality assurance is relatively easy to do but you need trained staff and a small lab. Probably need 1-2 people. The equipment required is easy to specify and relatively low cost. Some equipment/reagent suppliers might provide a lab plan with costs for 'free' for you.

I will alert a few suppliers to your posting and let them provide cost and other information.

I presume that you are also thinking about an on farm methane generating plant to produce your own energy or contribute towards your energy usage costs?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic