Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Ice cream > Ice cream
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Freezing temperature of ice cream

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freezing temperature of ice cream
    Posted: 09 Jan 2014 at 10:13pm
Firstly welcome to the Forum. I am sorry that you had registration problems.

Yes salt, sugar alcohols or polyols (e.g. sorbitol), and can be added and I will consider doing so. Glycerol(glycerine, glycerine) is also a polyol.

I would also be happy to customise an Excel spreadsheet to enable use of these and other ingredients to control freezing point depression.
Sponsored Links

gpinzone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpinzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2014 at 4:33am
Salt, sugar alcohols, and glycerine (glycol) would be nice to add.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 11:46pm

I have updated the mix freezing point calculator at http://www.dairyscience.info/antifreeze.asp to include maltodextrins of DE5, DE10, DE15 and DE18.

I would appreciate any feedback on how useful this calculator is. Also appreciate hearing how useful PAC and POD calculators might be.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 11:32pm
Yes this is quite easy to do. I would be happy to help you modify one of my spreadsheets to do this.  I doubt that there is sufficient demand to justify me offering these spreadsheets on this site at present.
This website, and various forums associated with it, have been active for several years. During all this time I have had only two queries concerning calculating the initial freezing point of ice cream (specifically gelato produced by artisans) and PAC- Potere Anti Congelante (and POD-Potere Dolcificante an indicator of sweetness) values. However I am interested in trying to help if possible.

Please use the personal messaging service to discuss with me directly. I would also be happy to  video conference with you using Skype if you are interested.

I have included a Google translation of my response to encourage Italian gelato producers to reply.
----------------
Sì, questo è abbastanza facile da fare. Sarei felice di aiutarvi a modificare uno dei miei fogli di calcolo per fare questo. Dubito che ci sia una domanda sufficiente a giustificare mi offre questi fogli di calcolo su questo sito al momento.
Questo sito web e vari forum ad esso associati, sono attivi da diversi anni. Durante tutto questo tempo ho avuto solo due domande riguardanti il calcolo del punto iniziale di congelamento del gelato (in particolare gelato prodotto da artigiani) e Pac (POD-e un indicatore di dolcezza) valori. Comunque sono interessato a cercare di aiutare se possibile.

Si prega di utilizzare il servizio di messaggistica personale per discutere con me direttamente. Sarei felice di avere videoconferenza con te utilizzando Skype, se siete interessati.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 5:08pm
Great! Could you modify a mix spreadsheet to give freezing point of mix, % lactose in water, and the PAC value?Emoticons
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 9:01pm
Sue is this initial mix freezing point calculator what you need?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 11:19pm
Thanks. Could anyone help do this for us?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 9:42pm
Welcome back to the forum!

The calculations are fairly straight forward. The sugars are converted to sucrose equivalents and the freezing point of the sucrose solution calculated. Next the freezing point depression due to the salts present in the mix is calculated. The two values are summed to give the estimated freezing point of the mix. Quite useful for product development purposes.

Let me know if you need more information.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 10:48pm
Knowing mix ingredients how easy to work out temperature that mix will freeze?

Sue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic