Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Starter cultures > Starter cultures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

why commercial DVI culture degenerate?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
michael View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why commercial DVI culture degenerate?
    Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 10:49pm
Commercial DVI cultures contain several strains of particular LAB. If you simply propagate them in milk or broth strain balance will change, and slower acid producing variants may accumulate.

Additionally if you do not correctly propagate -control acidity- and store the culture before use-hold at low temperatiiures, the acid produced may damage the starter bacteria and result in slow acid production.

This process is well understood.

So your teacher is correct.

If you isolate the component strains and propagate them correctly using well publicised methods you can obtain a stable culture system. Obviously there may be patent and other considerations that will prohibit you doing this this commercially. There is nothing to stop you doing this for research purposes.

I probably have old lecture notes discussing culture propagation and preservation. I will consider posting them as a Word file to this part of the forum.
Sponsored Links

childream View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote childream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 10:48pm
teacher told me that DVI culture will degenerate if I propagate it.

the rate of acid development will slow down.

but lactic acid is indeed the metabolic product of LAB, so ,the more lactic acid they produce, the more activity they have.

I think high activity LAB have advantage in competition.

why culture degenerate??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic