Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Thermal processing > Thermal processing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Pasteurization of Tap Water

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tong View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Pasteurization of Tap Water
    Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:05pm
Yeah, I watch the games on TV every day, China take many metals this time, but I cannot go to Beijing.

Thank you all the same!

I get this idea from the pasteurization of milk,
Sponsored Links

michael View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:05pm
Welcome back Tong!

I hope that you have been enjoying the games?

Sorry not really a topic for me to respond to. I wish you well however. I know one or two engineers that may comment.

Regards

Mike
Tong View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:05pm
In some developed countries, people drink tap water directly. However, Chinese people enjoy drinking boiled water, partly because we like drinking tea, which is prepared with hot water. But the most important reason is that it is believed that there may be some harmful micro-organisms in tap water.

Boiling water can cost a lot of energy, Chinese people are used to boil water to 100C, which is believed as the safe point.

I have noticed some principles, which may be reduce the energy cost of preparing drinking water.

1. The boiling water will be cool to about 70C soon after be boiled.
2. The pasteurization can kill harmful micro-organisms effectively.
3. Heat-exchange could reduce the energy cost.

So, I plan to design an Eco-boiler for Chinese family.

First, take a common electrical water boiler, adding heat preservation rind onto it. The boiler will be off at about 70C. Then, keep the temperature for a couple of minutes, pasteurization can kill harmful micro-organisms. The water is still hot after pasteurization, so it could be used to preparing tea.

In addition, people who would like to drink cool boiled water may employ a heat-exchanger to reduce energy cost. I think the most easy method is to connect two boiler, adding heat preservation rind onto them but there is not heat preservation layer between the two boiler, when one is full of 70C hot water, adding cool tap water to another boiler, which is gain heat from the former.

How do you think about this idea?

I must find out the Temperature-Time factor of Pasteurization for tap water, and how much energy would be saved by this technology.

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic