Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Pro and prebiotics > Pro and prebiotics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Probiotics/infants

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MrCage View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Probiotics/infants
    Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:29pm
Laura there are quite a few references on this site! I suspect you want references to problems? If I have time I will post a few re skin problems/allergy but I will try to do this in a balanced way. In the meantime consider Google Scholar for published refereed work. Regarding the reference list, possibly over the next few months.
Sponsored Links

laura_jane View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laura_jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:29pm
Thank you. Would you be so kind as to give me a few references pl? Have you considered providing a reference list?
MrCage View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:29pm
This is an interesting question and one that I can not answer in full.
Probiotic microorganisms have the potential to contribute positively to human health and recent work has suggested particular benefits that may be available to the elderly, children and women in particular. Nevertheless that are some risks particularly for particular groups including young children e.g. while there is evidence that particular probiotic microorganisms have the potential to reduce allergy problems in children contrary evidence from the use of other strains is also available.
The article on the site provides some advice on probiotics and young children e.g. it may be advisable to avoid giving babies probiotics that produce D-lactic acid. More recently there has been a report that a particular stain of Lactobacillus casei increases the concentration of lymphocytes in the lungs of female mice and eosinophils in the lungs of male mice. If this occurs in humans it would result in allergy symptoms being exacerbated. However this was one report and the work was not done with humans. I will update the article on probiotics to bring this area up to date and include more information on safety.Finally I would recommend that you discuss matters like this with your GP or paediatrician.
laura_jane View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laura_jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:28pm
I found the probiotics article useful but concerning. My oldest boy, 2, has skin problems. I am thinking of feeding yogurt to my youngest- 6 weeks! Your article suggests caution. Are there brands I should not buy? Any advice appreciated

Thanks L
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic