Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Starter cultures > Starter cultures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the void space around LAB in yogurt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
childream View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote childream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the void space around LAB in yogurt
    Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:36pm
thank you

in fact,I am not doing research...

I am just curious about these problems.

PS:I have used google scholar,it did find LOTS of papers!!
Sponsored Links

michael View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:36pm
Re healing of curd and curd shrinkage. While not totally understood there has been a lot of work in this area. If you do a search using Goggle scholar you will get a good overview of what has been done.
childream View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote childream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:36pm
what is the mechanism of the healing of curd (after cutting) ?
and the mechanism of shrink of curds when cooking?

may the same mechanism result in the void spaces around LAB?both proteolytic activity and the "interior tension"cause the void spaces and make them as if subjected to some stress?

but I do not know the mechanisim of healing and shrink,could some person talk about this? 
Diagram explaining curd shrinkage 
childream View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote childream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:36pm
"but the void spaces is obtained as if subjected to some stress"which phenomenon support the Olyson's hypothesis(local concentrations of lactic acid)
childream View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote childream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:35pm
M.Kalab had pointed out the void spaces around LAB in set-style yogurt.I do not know if it is the first time,but Iread from this reprint :M.Kalab,Development of microstructure in set-style nonfat yogurt-a review, Food Mirostructure,Vol.2(1983),pp.51-66.

there some different hypothesis:

(1)the void space is resulted from the proteolytic activity of LAB.but F.L.Davies point out that "S.thermophilus has little or no proteolytic activity...but the void spaces are equally evident around the non-proteolytic streptococci as around the strongly proteolytic lactobacilli.

(2)Olyson's hypothesis:
because of the local concentrations of lactic acid, the milk around LAB form a gel earlier,and then the gel separate from the LAB.but no explain on how gel separate from LAB.

(3)or the void space is artificial product when prepare sample.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic