Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Cheese varieties > Cheese manufacture and varieties
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hard Italian and Mountain cheeses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
zeppa View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard Italian and Mountain cheeses
    Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:46pm
Dear dr. Wallace, L. bulgaricus and L. helveticus are thermophilic lactic bacteria generally used (with other bacteria) for the production of yogurt, semi-hard and hard cheeses. The differences between these bacteria are very little. The only differences are the growth temperature (40-46 C for bulgaricus and 43-45 C for helveticus) and the used sugars. Another difference it is the isomer of lactic acid produced (D(-) for bulgaricus and DL for acidophilus). The bulgaricus has a protease more active then it is used generally for yogurt. Then these bacteria are interchangeable and used without distinction for Grana Padano, Parmigiano Reggiano, Gruyer, Pecorino where the curd is cook.
I hope that these information could be help you but if there are more questions do not hesitate to contact me.
Sponsored Links

Mike Mullan View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Mullan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:45pm
I will ask my colleague Professor Zeppa to respond to your query. He has worked in this area for many years and should be able to help.
Jim Wallace View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Wallace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:45pm

For years I have learned that the Helveticus culture was used in The mountain cheese of France and Switz and Bulgaricus was used in production of hard italian cheeses such as Parma/Grana.
However I see cheesemakers in France using the Bulgaricus sometimes directly from commercial yogurt supply for gruyere style cheese and italians using Helveticus for trad parma/grana style cheese....

What are the difference between these cultures and are tthey interchangeable???

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic