Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Nutrition and heath matters > Nutrition and health
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lactose intolerance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MockingMoizie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MockingMoizie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lactose intolerance
    Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 5:25pm
Hello,

First of all; to know how much lactose your body can take, you should ask this to your doctor. 
There are different forms of lactose-intolerance. Maybe you are still aloud to eat a certain amount, but it could be that you aren't aloud to eat any milligram anymore. This depends on how much activity of the enzyme lactase you still have left. This should be calculated in the lactose-intolerance test. So your doctor should be able to tell you this. Might aswell be that you need to do another test to calculate this.

Just ask your doctor, it will be okay. Smile

Kind regards,

Emeline
Sponsored Links

michael View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:18pm
Sign on to receive site updates and you will get the opportunity to get out applications before they go live on the site. This is conditional on providing me with feedback to enhance applications!
johnston_01 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnston_01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:17pm
I would like to test this application. TIA
michael View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:17pm
Good evening

I have developed a database listing lactose concentrations in foods. This can be used to calculate the lactose-load from a particular food. Depending on the lactose concentration, the user will get a message advising of the likely consequences of ingesting this amount of sugar. If interested in testing, please Email me at webmaster at dairyscience.info and I will send you the link. However you are also signing up to giving me information on the utility of the application! I think I have removed all the 'bugs'. Most common foods are included.
michael View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:16pm
cem85 I note your interest and that of others. I am not convinced that this facility is needed. However I will 'poll'site users and see what the level of interest is.
cem85 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cem85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:16pm
Interestng & imp topic. Can I strongly encourage u to develop a gas from lactose calculator from foods pl. Notwithstanding poss reservations his would be useful to sufferers
michael View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:16pm
Welcome back Mr Cage!

Starters, sorry no simple answer to this question as per that from Brigit!

The amount of gas produced depends on several factors including how much lactose reaches the colon and the flora in the colon.

Considering lactose that reaches the colon.

If you have a very high concentration of homofermentative LAB and bifidobacteria then a proportion of the lactose will not be converted to various gasses.

However if the E coli concentration is very high then using a mixed-acid fermentation they can convert 1 mole of lactose to 2 moles of CO2 and 2 moles of H2, this is 2-times the amount of gas produced by hetrofermentative lactic acid bacteria as discussed at
https://www.dairyscience.info/index.php/technology/219-gas-tables.html and more than the gas produced from citrate by LAB.

However, depending on the gut flora methane can be produced by the reaction of CO2 and H2 resulting in a very large reduction in the volume of intestinal gas.

If you want to calculate the 'theoretical' volume of gas produced from lactose in the gut then you start with converting the lactose concentration to moles , divide by 342.3 the formula weight. 1 mole of lactose should give 4 moles of gas. 1 mole of a gas occupies 22.4 L at STP. However as indicated this approach does not take the conditions in the gut including the gut flora into account and has limited use.
MrCage View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:15pm
Starters,

Michael has posted a "gas from substrate" chart in the webiste. Here is the link.

https://www.dairyscience.info/index.php/technology/219-gas-tables.html

Hope this is what you are looking for.
starters View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:15pm
How much gas does gut bacteria produce from lactose?
michael View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:14pm
LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Lactose intolerance is potentially a serious and potentially fatal condition in babies however it is extremely rare. If you suspect your baby or young child is lactose intolerant you are advised to take your child immediately to a doctor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sorry but there is no simple answer to your question.

I have been having discussions about this subject for a very long time mostly with people who were not lactose intolerant and I am now particularly cautious about comments regarding this matter.

Some people who are genuinely lactose intolerant can tolerate a surprising amount of lactose. Others can not.

If you are a healthy adult the standard advice is to note carefully the lactose content of what you eat and work out what you can tolerate.

Hard cheeses like Cheddar have virtually no lactose and should not normally cause problems.

Be cautious concerning taking more than 100 - 150 mL of fermented milks at a single session. However yoghurt consumption is usually not an issue-for most people- if they consume < 12 grams of lactose at one session. Not many yoghurt -eaters consume sufficent yoghurt to exceed this quantity at a single session.
BridgitMc View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BridgitMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:14pm
Hi!

I have been diagnosed lactose-intolerant. Pretty much aware of what it all means, or so I think at moment. I am a dairy technican and wondered if you could tell me how much lactose I can consume without probs? Thanks

B

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic