Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Cheese quality > Cheese quality
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's the white spots on section of Gouda?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Peterm View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peterm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's the white spots on section of Gouda?
    Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:35pm
These are Calcium Lactate crystals and are a natural make-up of the cheese. They appear in many cheeses but more so in cheese that is matured for long periods such as Gouda or Vintage Cheddar.
The crystals occur when the Calcium that is naturally present in the milk associates itself with the lactic acid that is produced from the fermentation of lactose by the added starter bacteria.
During maturation or ageing, the cheese loses moisture and this causes the Calcium Lactate to become more concentrated until it is supersaturated and loses sulubility; at this stage crystals form.
There are certain conditions during the manufacture and ripening of Gouda cheese that cause the crystals to be more prevalent than in other cheese types - time/temperature & moisture reduction during storage being the major inffluencing factors.

Tong wrote:
This is an on-line picture

what is the white spot on the section of Gouda?

Sponsored Links

michael View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:35pm
Mr Cage thank you for sharing! I was not aware of the lactate problem following the use of SMP. This is one of the reasons why some experiments need to be done in industry or the field. Hopefully others will note your experience.
MrCage View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:34pm
Michael is correct, my comment regarding lactate crystals as undersirable stems from consumer reactions to their appearance on the surface of product.

A few years ago many Cheddar manufacturers chose to use skim milk powder as a standardizing tool for aged Cheddar. The following year the amount of consumer complaints sky rocketed related to "white stuff" on the surface of my Cheddar cheese.

As a result of the consumer complaints, many converters established specifications for total Lactic Acid, the L isomer, D isomer and the relationship between the two. Some converters have recommendations between the % lactose related to the total solids in standardized cheese milk. As well as the amount of residual lactose and galactose in final product.

Packaging type, surface area and heat/cool also impact the occurance of crystal formation on the surface of product.

Let me reprase my comment in my original reply....some consumers may find Calcium Lactate Crystals undersirable.
Tong View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:34pm
Thanks!
michael View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:33pm
Tong,

Mr Cage has selected the most probable explanation, in my view. The amino acid L tyrosine is well know as the likely cause of white spots in mature Gouda cheese. Tyrosine is produced as a result of proteolysis, it is not very soluble in cheese, and will generally only be present in high concentrations in aged cheeses such as Gouda.

The white spots that form in aged-Cheddar cheese are generally due to the formation of D-lactate. The conventional starter produces L-lactate which is soluble and over time enzymes produced by NSLAB convert some of the L-lactate to D-lactate. This is is less soluble and tends to form crystals. There is some information about this process, called racemization or racemisation, in the pages on starters.

Some European consumers value aged Cheddar with white spots ( of calcium lactate). These are generally throughout the cheese but are sometimes more marked on the surface and particularly if cheese is uncovered for a while. Others see these spots as indicative of problems and will complain and return the cheese, perhaps this is why Mr Cage has voiced his concern about lactate crystals?
MrCage View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:33pm
Tong,

I understand they are molecules of the crystalline amino acid, tyrosine (C9H11NO3). Tyrosine in cheese comes about via the breakdown of the casein and in my opinion a desriable quality of aged cheese. Tyrosine crystals are on the interior of product.

Not to be confused with Calcium Lactate, which is on the surface in in my opinion undesriable.

Hope this helps
Tong View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:33pm
I was be told that many Gouda cheese is warpped by a special "paint" in stead of tranditional cheese wax.

Last year, I have met a Gouda cheese maker in Nanjing, I asked for a small piece of this "paint", it is elastic, like skin of the cheese.
Tong View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:33pm

This is an on-line picture

what is the white spot on the section of Gouda?

s

What causes white spots on Gouda cheese?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic