Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Starter cultures > Starter cultures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new name and old name of cheese starter.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
michael View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new name and old name of cheese starter.
    Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 10:39pm
Microbial classification is an interesting area. As discussed at http://www.dairyscience.info/cheese-starters.html . Str. thermophilus is the correct name. I think that i have also provided the source literature so that you can see why the name has reverted back to its older name. However some authors are still using Streptococcus salivarius ssp thermophilus. In my view incorrectly.

The International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology is an excellent source for information on microbial classification. You can also download papers for free in PDF format.

Regards
Sponsored Links

childream View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote childream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 10:39pm
I read that Streptococcus salivarius ssp thermophilus
change name again?

"Because of this, for some years Str. thermophilus was classified as a subspecies of Str. salivarius. However, it is now accepted that Str. thermophilus while similar, is sufficiently distinct to justify species designation."

-----
http://www.dairyscience.info/cheese-starters.html

so,Str. thermophilus is the newer name (and the old name)?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic