Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Pro and prebiotics > Pro and prebiotics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can probiotics stop miscarrages?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can probiotics stop miscarrages?
    Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 8:43pm
Susan this is really not the place to discuss probiotics and miscarriage but the area of urogenital heath and probiotics is one that is receiving significant commercial and medical interest.

You may find the article by Professor Gregor Reid and his colleagues of interest,
Reid, G. ,Burton, J. and Devillard, E. (2004) The Rationale for Probiotics in Female Urogenital Healthcare. MedGenMed. 2004; 6(1): 49.  The article can be downloaded for 'free' at

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1140735/ .  The significance of vagintitis caused by yeasts and bacteria is explained and the potential for probiotic treatment explored.

There has also been some research on the use of probiotics to reduce the incidence of preterm birth.

A recent Cochrane review concluded "Although the use of probiotics appears to treat vaginal infections in pregnancy, there are currently no data from trials to assess any impact on preterm labour". The review also made some recommendations for future research "There is a need for randomised controlled trials to test whether probiotics are effective in prevention preterm labour and birth. Future trials should therefore be designed taking the following factors into account. Trials should be appropriately sized and placebo-controlled. Outcomes should include preterm labour and birth at clinically significant gestational ages, adverse effects on the neonates and the pregnant women".

I am not in a position to recommend any websites or discussion forums. I hope that this limited response is of some help. Best wishes for 2011.

Sponsored Links

formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 11:09pm
Susan

Thank you for your post. I understand that this is a sensitive and important topic and I will try to respond.

I have moved your post  from "starters" to this forum on probiotics and hopefully you may get some responses. Because this is not a medical site the  responses are likely to be limited. I will have a look to see if there are other sites that might deal with this topic directly. I will try to come back to your topic in a day or so and in the meantime I hope that others may respond to you.

Re your contact problem. I get Emails from students complaining about researchers not responding to their Emails. Usually there is not much I can do except note that I will definitely not recommend certain text books! However, if you have used Email to contact an academic be aware that the spam filters in many institutions sometimes incorrectly designate valid Emails as SPAM; consider writing, faxing and phoning as alternatives to Email if you need to discuss something that is important but be polite and considerate of all the other demands on that persons time. 

More soon.
susan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 6:04pm
I have been reading that probiotics can help prevent miscarrage and have written to Prof Myhre for information but he will not write me. Can anyone help?
S
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic