Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Cheese varieties > Cheese manufacture and varieties
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pizza Cheese

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
vimlesh007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vimlesh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pizza Cheese
    Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 12:58pm
ya..
Thanks Mr Cage & Mr Michael for your comment. I was also expecting the same. Mr. cage, you confirmed that. Thank you very much.
Sponsored Links

MrCage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 8:43pm
First of all...welcome to the board!!

For simplicity, natural cheese in the US can be lumped into two main categories; Standardized Cheese and Non-Standardized Cheese.  Standardized cheese follow the US Code of Federal Regulations.  The link should take you to the cheese site and allow you to fully grasp what standards are applied to (LMPS) low moisture part skim Mozzarella(and all other standardized cheeses).

For cheese to be labeled as a standardized cheese they MUST follow the standards listed in this code.  Keep in mind these standards were developed post WWII and have not been updated with current market expectations,  ingredients or technology(obviously positive and negatives aspects to this).

Non standardized natural cheese do not reference standards for allowable ingredients or composition and as mainly defined by the "market".  Although these products do not have reference standards if manufactured by in the US are subject to government manufacturing and sanitary enforcement as well as very strict customer standards and expectations. 

Pizza cheese is a good example of these...."the Market" called for a cheese without the restrictions of standardized cheese so a new cheese was developed.  Additionally as a growing amount US cheese is being offered in developing markets....it is advantageous to have the application of the cheese in the name for simplicity (Pizza Cheese compared to LMPS Mozz).....this in many cases is the reason for the marketing of PIZZA CHEESE

Other examples would be the fast growing Hispanic cheeses.  These cheeses do not have reference standards but do have flavor and function (as well as food safety) expectations.

For countries/markets without standard cheese guidelines most fall back to Codex.  A quick web search will link you with the standardize cheese listed in Codex.

To specifically answer your questions.....Pizza Cheese can be identical to LMPS or different.  In large part these cheese can be interchangeable in Pizza or baked applications.  

Hope this gets you started...

Mr Cage

formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 5:46pm
We are fortunate to have a Mr Cage as a forum member. He is very experienced in this area and hopefully will respond.

From my perspective the term "Pizza cheese" is open to interpretation and as a consequence regulatory authorities in different jurisdictions have developed regulations to clarify and describe particular cheeses and other foods.
vimlesh007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vimlesh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 10:47am
I was having a notion that Pizza Cheese is Low moisture Part Skim Mozzarella.
But today when I Visited website of US Dairy Export Council I saw two different  type of cheese under Pasta Filata category i.e. Low moisture Part Skim Mozzarella and Pizza Cheese.

PLease make me understand clear; what is difference betwwen the two cheeses.

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic