Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Ice cream > Ice cream
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Caution making your own dry mix

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caution making your own dry mix
    Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 1:29pm
Please note my comments about the advantages of using these prepared mixes! Before you consider replacing them you need to be certain that you have the knowledge and skills to develop your own mixes or to be prepared to pay for this help.

I have made available two potentially prize winning ice cream or gelato mixes as part of the subscription to the ice cream mix calculator. Please look at https://www.dairyscience.info/calculator1/index.php .

I would be happy to provide some additional recipes as part of this package.

Mr Lee Williams has also provided some mix information on this forum and may also respond to your post.

For optimum quality you may (depending on what you want to do with your mix) need an emulsifier / stabiliser.
Sponsored Links

mamdoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamdoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 6:10am
Hi
As you say I am looking for a formula to get rid of expensive products. I am using MEC3 now I have Carpigiani's pasturazer, aging vat and batch freezer.
I use dextrose, sugar, skim powder milk and glocose syrup. I want a scientific dosage of these. Thanks
formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 11:22am
Following a series of PM discussions I have finally realised that some ice cream makers want to save money by replacing commercial ice cream mix products by making their own dry mixes. They propose to do this by buying in the raw materials for mixes, adding water and then freezing the liquid mix.

Sorry it does not work like this!

Commercial ice cream powder and liquid mixes have been specifically produced for this purpose and are technically sophisticated products. Some are the results of many years of incremental improvement through R&D.

If forum users wish to make your own mixes yes this can be done. However you will have to heat process your mix (crudely cook it!), hold it at the recommended temperatures for prescribed times, cool to around 3C and age before freezing. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic