Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Manufacture of LP-containing milk replacers > LP containing milk replacers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starting LP trial. Advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting LP trial. Advice?
    Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 5:44pm

Firstly I wish you well in your research.

With hindsight I would make three points following your question.

1. Publish all your results! You may regret not formally publishing some of your work in the future if you don't!
2. My former colleague Dr Tony Waterhouse made an interesting finding when he analysed the growth rates of calves on LP trials at the WSAC, calves with low serum concentrations of immunoglobulin's behaved differently than calves with normal or elevated concentrations. Consider looking at the IG-status of your calves before allocating them to treatment groups and ensure that you allow for randomisation of this potential variable. I am not sure whether we published this research.
3. Straw/hay and feed pellets contain potentially high concentrations of vegetable peroxidase. Depending on the design of your trial it may be important that you take account of vegetable peroxidase intake. Plant peroxidases have a higher binding affinity for hydrogen peroxide than lactoperoxidase. Hence the plant peroxidases have the potential to utilise the hydrogen peroxide required for LP system activation potentially giving rise to trial results showing little benefit for the LP system.

If you can obtain abomasal fluid it is relatively easy to assay for LP and for vegetable peroxidases. Regretfully Tony and I did not publish this work which in hindsight was a mistake and is an area that does need to be controlled in trials.

Tony Waterhouse still works in Scotland and can be contacted at SRUC.

Sponsored Links

newphd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newphd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 3:22pm
Hi hope to start a series of experiments looking at LP system and calf health. Any advice before we start?

JB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic