Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Cheese quality > Cheese quality
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting Started

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting Started
    Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 8:59pm
Your position is not uncommon but must be concerning. I don't have time to fully respond.

There are a number of excellent text books on cheesemaking many edited by Professor PF Fox and colleagues that would give you a good grounding in cheesemaking. The free Ebook by Dr Hill at https://www.uoguelph.ca/foodscience/book-page/cheese-making-technology-ebook should also help.

As soon as possible you need a HACCP plan for all your cheesemaking processes. This will identify hazards, critical control points and controls.

Raw milk free of antibiotics and other residues, hygienically produced, of low thermoduric count, correct milk pasteurization, correct acidities in the finish cheeses and control of salt are critical.

There are some excellent On Line resources including free outline HACCP plans that should help.

Sponsored Links

chrijor1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrijor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 8:12pm
Hello All,

I recently accepted a job in the quality department of a goat cheese facility.  I'm brand new to the cheese industry and am basically looking for any pointers and whatnot to get a solid quality program in place.  Currently the quality aspect of this place has some issues I believe but I just don't know enough about it yet to say for sure or have a solution.  Some examples might be what we organisms we should be testing for, how much product we should be testing, environmental swabbing procedures... I know this is a very broad post but if anyone else has been in the same scenario and has good starting points for me Id greatly appreciate it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic