Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Nutrition and heath matters > Nutrition and health
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is it safe to give honey to babies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
michael View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it safe to give honey to babies
    Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 9:21am
This topic is outside the areas covered by the Dairy Science and Food Technology website.

Honey feeding to babies under 1 year old is not recommended in the UK and in many other countries.

Honey may contain spores of a bacterium called Clostridium botulinum. There is concern that these spores may grow in the intestine of some babies resulting in potentially serious health problems.

If you wish to research this area further you might wish to use Google scholar or discuss with your family doctor.

TOPIC CLOSED
Sponsored Links

Dorothy View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 9:21am
I can see that this is not a medical site. Sorry for this question but cant get answer any where else.
My health visitor says I cannot give honey to my baby-9 month sold. I put it hon her dummy. Is this right?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic