Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Wine science and technology > Wine science and technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wine production shrinkage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
giuseppe zeppa View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giuseppe zeppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wine production shrinkage
    Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 10:31am
I think that it is not possible to define a value for shrinkage during wine-making. During fermentation, aging, filtration, bottling and others it is possible a loss of wine and this loss is related to the technique and the machinery used.
With oak barrels this loss is due also to humidity of air.
It is not possible then to define a quantity of loss. Generally this value is very low and, if possible, equal to 0.
For winemaker it is very important to reduce this value.
In some cases there are not loss od wine. For example with the add of rettified must the final volume is higher than initial volume.
Sponsored Links

lynn rae View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynn rae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 10:30am
Originally posted by michael michael wrote:

Professor Zeppa has extensive knowledge of this area. I have alerted him to your post.

Thank you
michael View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 10:30am
Professor Zeppa has extensive knowledge of this area. I have alerted him to your post.
lynn rae View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynn rae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 10:29am
What is the normal shrinkage that can be expected for wine during fermentation (in oak barrels), racking, maturation, filtering and bottling? I know there is no accounting for spillage.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic