Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > General dairy > General dairy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are these processes too old???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tong View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are these processes too old???
    Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 10:37am
Yes they are both important

after I get a job, I wish to apply some short course on food process in University or company of UK or Ireland !
Sponsored Links

MrCage View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 10:37am
Tong

Good to hear that you are well. Pleased that you got home before the snow closed the motorways.

Back to your posting----------.

I understand Mr Cage' comments.

When we teach food technology to students we always start with the basics. It is much easier to teach batch processes e.g using a retort to sterilise cans of peas or a small 200 litre vat to teach the basics of Cheddar manufacture. Large companies expect our students to understand continuous processes as well as batch and that is a challenge for educators.
Tong View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 10:36am
Thank you! I am fine

Chinese people have suffered so h...heavy snow, especially in the south fo china.

Even old people have never seen that heavy snow, scientists said that it is caused by "La nina".

the depth of snow in many southern city is 30-50cm. the highway of four provinces are totally closed, two of the four are badly affected by power interruption... there are about 150 million people in these four province.

My home is in Hubei province, one of the four which are badly affected by heavy snow.But I was lucky that I arrived home before the highways are closed...

In addition, chinese people regard chinese new year as the most important festival and they must go home... so the situation became worse.

but it is much better now.
Tong View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 10:36am
Thank you for your advice!

I have heard about the "slow food" tendency in western countries. Many people regard artisanal food as a better choice, if they have enough money.

"a hands on/batch approach is much more condusive to understanding the principles of cheese making. ",yes I agree

so batch process may be important both in teaching and practice.
MrCage View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 10:36am
My opinion only....without questions from a "learning and teaching perspective" a hands on/batch approach is much more condusive to understanding the principles of cheese making. Skills learned from an Artisan make are much easier to translate to a large continuous automated cheese make process compared to learning to continous approach first.

I feel the need to remain somewhat anonymous in this forum but work at a highly automated cheesemaking facility but my roots are in hand made batch cheesemaking.
Michael Mullan View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Mullan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 10:36am
Hello Tong

Pleased to hear from you again. I have been watching the severe weather in China and hoped that you were not affected too badly?

You have been discussing continuous versus batch processing. Yes the food industry in the UK and Ireland still has some batch processing. Where possible manufacturers move to continuous processing particularly to save labour costs. Labour can be difficult to get in the UK and it is expensive. The capital required for continuous processing plant e.g. baking,canning,UHT processing is very expensive and some small manufacturers will have to continue to batch process. In Europe there is a feeling among some consumers that food has little taste and there is an increasing interest in 'slow food' and foods produced by artisans.

You have started an interesting discussion. However the economics favour continuous production in large companies. I think students need to be familiar with the new but to have knowledge of the old processes also.
Tong View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 10:34am
Hello,

Although modern process is quite different from tranditional process, the princeples of cheesemaking are almost the same.

A sales engineer of Tetra Pak told me that do not learn the "old" process anymore. In his opinion, the proper process is continuous process...

How do you think about this?

I have written some articles, which introduce the basic process of cheesemaking to chinese common people.

setting milk in vat, cutting with wire-knife, cooking in vat, curds knitting, salting and pressing, ripening... I think the princeple of cheesemaking is the same in continuous process.

So, do you think discontinuous processes are too old? or they are also important for each dairy student?

what is the situation in UK or Ireland?

I think chinese dairy need both continuous process and discontinuous processes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic