Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Ice cream > Ice cream
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do I Create a Gelato White Base

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gelato-Artisan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gelato-Artisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I Create a Gelato White Base
    Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 3:39pm
If we look at a white base with a 50g per litre base:

Whole milk            1L
Cream 35%       150g-200g
Sugar.                 230-250g
Base 50.                    50g

Hope this helps
Sponsored Links

AnthonyR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnthonyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 2:42am
Hi Lee,
Thankyou very much for taking the time to read and respond to my questions about creating my own white base.

Firstly to answer your questions,

I have a 60lt Batch pasteurizer

I have flavour always cold

My Display freezer is currently set to -13.5 Celsius

In my display freezer I currently have 4 Sorbettos, But it is winter here and I plan to increase them to around 8 as summer approaches.

Apologies for the longevity comment, I meant to convey the fact that i do not deep freeze my Gelato for weeks on , as i promote the fact that it is made daily.

I could always start with  a 50 Base as you recommended, but ill see what you have to say.

Kind Regards

Anthony

Gelato-Artisan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gelato-Artisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 5:53pm
 Hi Anthony

It’s not a bad thing to get your business off the ground using a 100 base. It helps you create a consistent product. However the time will always come to move onto something more individual and maybe save you a few dollars too.

I would be suggesting you move to a 50 base (50 gms per Litre of milk) or maybe even a 15gms per litre of milk type base. But before we look at that:

What type of equipment do you use: 3-in-1 or batch pasteuriser?

Do you flavour hot/cold?

What temperature do you display then at?

Do you have Sorbets beside these, and if so how are these made at the moment?

I'm not sure what 'tricking the base' is all about but let’s see if we can deliver the new recipe with no detrimental effect on the Gelato/ Ice cream.

PS; longevity of your mix/gelato is essential as it’s the 'marker' of a perfect balanced product. 

Lee Williams at the Gelato-Artisan Academy Cornwall UK

AnthonyR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnthonyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 5:05am
Hello, I have recently found this forum and think it is terrific.

I have recently opened a Gelato shop in Australia , and am currently using a 100 Base from a Gelato ingredients supplier.

I have thought it must be cheaper to make my own bases, since that I have access to most of the ingredients listed on the commercial base bag, especially the first few, including Dextrose, SMP, and glucose powder, I am sure all I really need is the stabilizers and Emulsifiers.

I make the Gelato fresh daily, ideally used within 2 days, so long term lasting quality is not so important.

Can anybody out there suggest what to use for the missing ingredients( most likely a product from a gelato ingredients supplier that combines the emulsifiers and stabilizers in one, with i assume, a 5g/kg dosage, 
Clearly the ingredients supplier would want to try and sell me the 100 Base, so they are not the ones to ask.
I have pasteurizer, so heat treatment and aging is not an issue.

I am familiar with "tricking the base' to allow for more solid inclusions, and certain flavors etc.

I think i have covered it all, but more than happy to clarify anything if needed.

Regards

Anthony

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic