Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Nutrition and heath matters > Nutrition and health
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lutein and macular degeneration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lutein and macular degeneration
    Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 11:15pm
Thanks to Sandra for a series of Emails about recommending good food sources of lutein and whether there is any evidence to suggest that increasing lutein intake can help ward off macular degeneration or slow it down if it has developed.

Over the last few years there have been several Emails about this subject and I have now decided to provide some limited information on lutein in food.

Macular degeneration is a major cause of blindness and anything that will prevent it or slow its development down is of interest.

The macula contains a number of carotenoid pigments, also referred to as xanthophylls, namely lutein, zeaxanthin and meso-zeaxanthin. These compounds have the same molecular weight and are isomers.

The data for the concentration of individual xanthophylls in foods is limited. Most of the major databases list information on the combined lutein and zeaxanthin concentration. The limited data for the individual compounds indicate that leafy vegetables e.g. kale, spinach are rich sources of lutein where corn and corn products were found to be major sources of dietary zeaxanthin.

I have decided to write a brief article, and to include a spreadsheet or database, that browsers can use to calculate their daily combined lutein and zeaxanthin intake. 

After having a look at the data for the UK on nutrient intakes it is clear that for most people intakes of these compounds are low. Much lower, than the 10 mg recommended by some researchers working on macular health.

When the article is ready I will post a link here. In the short term I will include a link to a spreadsheet detailing the combined lutein and zeaxanthin concentration in vegetables and eggs.  

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic