• Pearson square or rectangle for use with milk, cream, wine, meat manufacture.
• Calculate the % lactic acid, Soxhlet Henkel degrees, Thörner degrees, Soxhlet Henkel degrees and Dornic degrees of a milk sample.
• Calculate milk fat concentration required to produce a whole milk powder of specified fat concentration.
• Calculate casein:fat and protein:fat ratios in milk for product manufacture.
• Van Slyke theoretical yield
• Van Slyke adjusted for moisture
• Casein retention
• Fat retention
• Yield analysis spreadsheet
• Calculate the yield of Cottage cheese
• Grading value predictor for Cheddar
Nutrition / labelling tools
• Energy density or calorie counter for foods
• Sodium chloride (salt) calculator
• Improve your writing by using an On Line readability calculator
• Harvard-style reference generator
• Convert numbers to scientific notation
• Convert numbers in scientific notation to standard format
• Calculate the percentage change in the initial or start and final values
• Calculate the percentage difference (the absolute value -regardless of sign) of the change in value for any two numbers that belong to the same category.
Food safety/spoilage models
• Model the probability of Listeria monocytogenes growing in cheese.
• Model the probability of detecting a pathogen in a food.
• Determine whether a product containing acetic acid meets the Comité des Industries des Mayonnaises et Sauces Condimentaires de la Communauté Économique Européenne (CIMSCEE) model for a safe and stable product.
• Predicting the growth of Salmonella spp on sliced-tomatoes.
• Predict microbial numbers using doubling or generation time.
• Calculator for determining the concentration of undissociated lactic acid in cheese and whether the cheese will support the growth of Listeria monocytgenes.
• Calculator for determining the concentration of an undissociated organic acid in cheese
Models for shelf life prediction
• Shelf life of pasteurised milk.
• Mould free shelf life of cakes.
Aw and moisture isotherms
• Calculator for determining equilibrium moisture values corresponding to selected Aw values using the Guggenheim–Anderson–de Boer (GAB) model.
• Calculator for determining equilibrium moisture values corresponding to selected Aw values using the Brunauer-Emmett-Tellet (BET) model.
Microbial sampling statistics
• Calculate probability of detecting a pathogen
• Calculate the number of samples required to test to meet a food standard
• Calculate the prevalence of a pathogen in a food that has tested negative after analysis
• Generate a random number sequence
• Solve a two variable simultaneous equation
• Calculate the number of replications of an experiment to achieve the desired degrees of freedom
• Calculator for determining the F or P value of a thermal process
• Simplified version of the Dairy Science and Food technology F and P value calculator.
• Calculator for determining the lethality (F, value) of a thermal process using the trapezoid and Simpson's rules. This unique calculator works with thousands of pasted values e.g. from a data logger
• Calculate an equivalent heat process at a higher (or lower temperature) knowing the z-value and the F (P) value at the reference temperature
• How do you calculate the z-value given two equivalent but different thermal processes?
• Spoilage probability calculator
• Modelling the destruction of Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis (MAP) during HTST pasteurisation of milk
• Calculator for determining the Decimal Reduction Time (D) for a microorganism knowing the D-value at the reference temperature and the Z-value using the Bigelow method and the Arrhenius equation.
• Calculator for determining the number of survivors of a microbial population after a defined heat treatment
• Calculator for determining the time required to reduce an initial population of a microorganism to a predetermined number of survivors
• Modelling holding time at a designated temperature on user designated quality factors, including biological activity, degradation
Ice cream / gelato manufacture
Note. These calculators are only available to subscribers to the On Line Ice Cream Mix calculator.
• Ice cream mix calculator
• MSNF concentration of cream
• MSNF concentration of unwashed butter
• MSNF concentration required for a balanced ice-cream mix
• Ice cream density and weight calculator
• Calculation of maximum safe overrun for ice cream
• Calculator for determining maximum MSNF compatible with normal fat agglomeration in ice cream or gelato
• Predict Overall Degree of Liking of ice cream based on fat and sugar content using Response Surface Methodology
• Find the ideal sugar concentration to balance fat in ice cream or gelato
Pasteurization and UHT processing
• Calculator for determining Reynolds number
• Calculator for determining average holding time in a pasteurizer or UHT holding tube
• Calculator for determining holding tube length in pasteurizing and UHT plant
• Calculator for predicting the concentration of HMF, lactulose and furosine in heated milks (whole, semi-skim and skimmed milk). It also calculates the F0, B* and C* values and the destruction of thiamine. The values are integrated using the industry standard method, the trapezoid rule, and are compared with a more accurate method of numerical integration, Simpson's 1/3 and 3/8 rules. Designed to take thousands of pasted values.
• Simple calculator for determining the F, B* and C* values following ultra-high temperature (UHT) processing of milk
• Calculator for determining the lethality (F, B* values) and chemical changes (C* value) for UHT processes using the trapezoid and Simpson's rules. Applicable to all UHT processes and designed to take thousands of pasted values.
• Determine the accuracy of 3 algorithms for determine the concentration of lactulose in milk after a defined heat treatment
• Calculator for determining the Fo value of a UHT process using Bigelow and Arrhenius models
• Convert between Soxhlet Henkel degrees, Thörner degrees, Dornic degrees and percentage lactic acid milk titratable acidity measurements
• Convert between pressure units
• Prepare a solution to a given molarity
• Using a standard solution prepare an assay or test solution of designated volume and molarity
Population, and population error sampling (statistical surveys)
• How do you choose a sample size for a survey?
• How do you calculate the margin of error in a statistical sampling scheme?