Contributors to Dairy Science and Food Technology
Dr. Gandhi is a Principal Scientist in Dairy Microbiology at the N.D.R.I., Karnal, India. He is engaged in research, teaching, guidance of postgraduate students and consultancy to the dairy industry. He has obtained additional training in Patents and Trademarks, Research Management, Advanced training in Fermentation Technology from the Department of Food Science and Technology, University of Nebraska, Lincoln (USA) and training in Leadership and Personality Development.
Dr. Gandhi has more than than 30 years experience of research and development in the areas of fermented milk products and bioprocessing of whey into value added products.
D. N. Gandhi has guided 12 MSc. students and 4 PhD students in the areas of fermented dairy products and whey utilization and has published 65 research publications in national and international journals and books. His major achievements in the field of dairy science and technology are:
• Developed process for the manufacture of fruit and flavored yogurts under Indian conditions.
• Developed variants of acidophilus based fermented dairy products.
• Examined therapeutic and antagonistic activities of indigenous and western fermented dairy products.
• A fermented whey drink "Acidowhey" has been developed and the process has been granted a Patent.
• A process for utilization of whey for the production of non-conventional Baker's yeast has been developed and a patent has been the filed.
• Completed DBT sponsored research project in the bioprocessing of whey for the production of lactic acid.
• Potential strains of Lactobacillus spp have been identified as starter adjuncts for the accelerated ripening of Cheddar cheese
• Methods for the production of bacteriocins from L. acidophilus and Bacillus coagulans have been developed
• He is a life member of the Association of Food Scientist and Technologists (AFST (I), India Dairy Association (IDA), Association of Microbiologists of India (AMI) and Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA) as well DTSI and ARSSF. He is also a member of the International Dairy Federation (IDF) group on "Lactic Acid Bacteria" and the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) for Food Microbiology Sectional committee.
• He was awarded two best poster awards by the Association of Microbiologists of India in 1990 and 1997 for the presentation of research papers. He was also awarded the best paper award for a publication of Research paper in Indian Journal of Dairy Science by the Indian Dairy Association in 2004.
• 1969. Agri & A.H. degree from Punjab Agricultural University, Hissar Campus.
• 1971. M.Sc.(Microbiology) degree from Haryana Agricultural University, Hissar.
• 1979. Ph.D degree from National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI), Karnal.