Contributors to Dairy Science and Food Technology
Giuseppe Zeppa is a researcher in the Food Technology Sector of Di.Va.P.R.A. (Department of Exploitation and Protection of theAgricultural and Forestry Resources) at the Agricultural Faculty of Turin University (Italy). He is a professor of Sensory Analysis and Milk and Dairy Technology at Turin University.
Professor Zeppa has worked at Turin University since 1984.
Research Interests and Current Research Projects
Professor Zeppa's research is devoted to the study of chemical and sensory characteristics of foods. The main topics are the study of wine and cheese flavours, the study of relationships between technology and chemical/sensorial characteristics of foods, the use of gas-chromatography-mass spectrometry for food analysis, the food characterisation between the sensory analysis, the consumer science.
Giuseppe Zeppa is responsible for research projects founded by the European Union, Ministry of University (MURST), Regional Governments and private companies, and is the author or co-author of more than 120 scientific papers.
Current Research Projects
• EU Project CRAFT "Sustainable enhancement of autochthonous wine grapes in mountain areas"
• Characterisation of typical cheeses of Piedmont (North West Italy)
• Characterisation of typical Piedmont foods (potato salami, breadsticks, maize, potatoes, salami)
• Sensory characterisation of Piedmont wines
• Study of terpene compounds in mountain cheeses
Personal web page
• Access Professor Zeppa's personal web page
• Schneider A., Mannini F., Gerbi V., Zeppa G. - 1989 - Effect of vine vigour of Vitis vinifera cv 'Nebbiolo' clones on wine acidity and quality. Proceedings "Vth International Symposium on Grape Breeding", St. Martin/Pfalz (FRG), 525-531.
• Zeppa G., Allegrone G., Barbeni M., Guarda P.A. (1990) - Variability in the production of volatile metabolites by Trichoderma viride. Ann. Microbiol., 40, 171-176.
• Ferrarini R., Zironi R., Gerbi V., Zeppa G. (1992) - The use of hollow fibre membranes in the crossflow filtration of grape musts. Atti Euromembrane '92, Parigi, 5-8 ottobre, in Rècent progrès en génie des procédés, 6, 22, 317-322.
• Gerbi V., Zeppa G., Carnacini A. (1992) - Rapid extraction of volatile compounds in wine and vinegar using Extrelut resins. Ital. J. Food Sci., 4, 259-267.
• Antonelli A., Zeppa G., Gerbi V., Carnacini A., Natali N. (1993) - Importance of the quality control of vinegar for valorization of typical products. Atti Seventh European Conference on Food Chemistry 'Progress in Food Fermentation' , I.A.T.A. Valencia (Spain), vol. II, 416-423.
• Antonelli A., Zeppa G., Gerbi V., Carnacini A. (1997) - Polyalcohols in vinegar as an origin discriminator. Food Chemistry, 60, 3, 403-407.
• Gerbi V., Zeppa G., Antonelli A., Carnacini A. (1996) - Sensory characterisation of wine vinegars. Food Qual. Pref., 8, 1, 27-34.
• Gerbi V. , Zeppa G., Antonelli A., Natali N., Carnacini A. (1997) - Multivariate analysis of composition and sensory quality criteria of white vinegars. Sciences des aliments, 17, 4, 349-359.
• Gerbi V., Zeppa G., Beltramo R., Carnacini A., Antonelli A. (1998) - Characterisation of white vinegars of different sources with artificial neural networks. J. Sci. Food Agric., 78, 417-422.
• Zeppa G., Conterno L., Gerbi V. (2001) - Determination of organic acids, sugars, diacetyl and acetoin in cheese by High-Performance Liquid Chromatography. J. Agric. Food Chem., 49, 2722-2726.
• Zeppa G., Gerbi V. (2001) - Using an 'electronic nose' to discriminate white truffle (Tuber magnatum Pico) quality. Sci. Aliments, 21, 691-703.
• Zeppa G., Giordano M., Gerbi V., Meglioli G. (2001) - Study of flavour compounds from traditional balsamic vinegar of Reggio Emilia (Italy). Atti Simposio Internazionale "Massa 2001", Marina di Campo (LI), 24-27 giugno, 73-74.
• Zeppa G., Rolle L., Gerbi V. (2001) - Sensory characterisation of 'Focaccia di Novi' a typical Italian flat bread. Atti EURSAFE 2001 "Food safety, food quality and food ethics", Firenze, 3-5 ottobre, 525-526.
• Zeppa G., Rolle L., Gerbi V., Guidoni S. (2001) - Anthocyanin composition of four autochthonous Vitis vinifera grapevine varieties from Piedmont. Ital. J. Food Sci., 13(4), 405-412.
• Zeppa G., Giordano M., Gerbi V., Arlorio M. (2003) - Fatty acid composition of Piedmont "Ossolano" cheese. Lait, 83, 167-173.