Summary Curriculum Vitae for Dr Michael Mullan
NAME: W. MICHAEL A. MULLAN
- 2001 Certificate in 'Quality Management in Higher Education Institutions'. University of Twente, Netherlands.
- 1983 PhD. University of Glasgow.
- 1977 MSc (Dairy Science). National University of Ireland, University College Cork.
- 1975 BSc (Hons), Food Science. The Queen’s University Belfast.
- 2014- CEO, Dairy Science and Food Technology consultancy
- 2010- 2014. Head of Agriculture Education Branch, College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise
- 2005-2010. Head of Higher Education Branch, College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise and Honorary Lecturer in Food Technology, Queen's University Belfast (2007-2008).
- 2004-2005. Head of Projects, Peace Branch, Department of Agriculture and Rural Development. See progress report.
- 1987 -Head of Food Education Division, Loughry College (to 2004) and Lecturer in Food Technology at the Queen's University Belfast (to July 2007).
- 1982-1987. Senior Food Technologist and Head of Dairy Technology Section, Loughry College
- 1977-1982. Lecturer and specialist adviser in Dairy Technology, West of Scotland College of Agriculture, Ayr, Scotland.
- 1976-1977. Lecturer in Food Technology, Loughry College, Cookstown, N Ireland.
COMMITTEES / ROLES ASSOCIATED WITH EDUCATION AND TRAINING AND / OR RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT:
- Chair College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise HE-Teaching and Learning Committee (2005 –2014).
- Fellow of the Institute of Food Science and Technology (FIFST).
- External Examiner at Sheffield Hallam University (2005–2010).
- Visiting lecturer at the Universita' Degli Studo Di Napoli, Federico 11, Italy.
- Scientific referee for major journals including Journal of Dairy Research, Journal of Dairy Science, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, The Journal of Environmental Health Research and Food Microbiology
- Member of the Open University Annual Monitoring Sub-Group of Validating Committee (2003-2005).
- Expert Evaluator for Enterprise Ireland Commercialisation Fund
- External Examiner at University College Cork (2001 – 2004).
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Biocolloids Centre, University College Dublin (1998 – 2000).
- Chair of Loughry College Quality and Curriculum Development Committee (1996 –2004).
- Member of the Food Science and Technology Management Board of the Queen’s University Belfast (1996 – 2002).
- External Examiner at University College Cork (1995 – 1999).
- Joint organiser and member of the Scientific Committee responsible for the International Dairy Federation Seminar on ‘Indigenous Antimicrobial Agents of Milk - Recent Developments’. Uppsalla, Sweden. 31st August and 1st September 1993.
- Member of the organising committee of the joint Federation of European Microbiological Societies and International Dairy Federation seminar on the “Antimicrobial Proteins in Milk”, University of Bath, Bath, UK.
10th – 13th September 1985.
- Secretary, deputy chairman, and UK representative on International Dairy Federation Group F19 (Indigenous Anti-Microbial Proteins in Milk) 1985-1995.
- Course Team Leader of the Queens University Belfast, MAgr (Dairy Technology) course (1982 - 1986).
- Member of the Society of Dairy Technology.
Michael Mullan has over 60 publications (see http://www.dairyscience.info/selected-publications.html) and has supervised MSc and PhD students.