DSFT provides a range of thermal processing consultancy services to food and pharmaceutical manufacturers. These include:
- Independent validation of the antimicrobial effectiveness of the heat treatments used in processing.
- Calculation of the average holding time used in processing HTST and HHST products.
- Determination of the flow type and calculation of the minimum holding or residence time of the fastest flowing particles in HTST and HHST products.
- Determination of the F values and the number of logarithmic (log10) reductions of designated microorganisms following heat treatment.
- Advice on equivalent heat processes to meet legislative and other requirements.
- Benchmarking of company processes against statutory and international best practice.
- Advice on alternative methods to microbiological examination for providing additional assurance of adequate heat treatment e.g. the phosphatase test is of no value in providing assurance that a temperature >80°C was used in milk processing. Additional tests that confirm higher temperatures than e.g. normal milk-pasteurization temperatures can be provided. The merits of incorporating these into routine quality assurance testing will be explained.
Clients will be supplied with the details of the calculations undertaken including all formula and approximations used. Excel workbooks will be provided on completion of the project.
DSFT can provide professional and educational competency information to enable companies to meet their validating organisations' requirements for external consultants.